Renato Martínez has a broad experience in assisting clients on a multitude of complex business transactions, with an emphasis in cross border transactions in the financial law area, where he has represented foreign and domestic financial institutions and users of corporate financing in the instrumentation of all types of financial facilities. Mr. Martínez has participated in the implementation of numerous cross border and domestic projects, structured and project finance and all types of real estate developments, lease financings and restructurings. Also, he customarily advises leading multinational companies doing business in México on structuring and conduct of business matters, including maquiladora, mining and oil and gas entities. Other areas of law in which he has significant experience include corporate law, mergers and acquisitions; securities and capital markets, real estate and general commercial law.
Recent Relevant Matters
- Represented one of the largest manufacturers of tires in the world in the acquisition of land for the development of a new industrial campus in central Mexico in which over US$700 million will be invested.
- Represented an important real estate developer in Mexico in the formation of a joint venture that allowed the creation of a state of the art industrial Park for the aerospace sector in the city of Queretaro.
- Represented a publicly traded real estate developer in the acquisition of diverse strategic assets located throughout Mexico.
- Represented a publicly traded investment fund in connection with the risk assessment associated with its investments in logistics and industrial parks located in central Mexico.
- Represented one of the main commercial and industrial irrigation equipment manufacturers in the world in the undertaking of its industrial and manufacturing operations in Mexico.
- Represented a tier 1 automotive industry supplier in the establishment and expansion of its manufacturing operations in northern and central Mexico under the IMMEX maquila manufacturing structure.
- Represented an important global industrial group in the strategic sale of a part of its assets in Mexico.
- Represented one of the main industrial supply distribution companies in Mexico in the design and expansion of its operations.
- Represented one of the largest banks in Germany in the refinancing of several credit facilities the amount of more than US$400 million for the development of several shopping mall centers.
- Represented a US-based bank in the structuring of industrial real estate credit facilities for over US$25 million.
- Represented an important food manufacturing and distributing product company in the securing of one $80 million credit facility for the refinancing of its commercial activities.
- Provided counsel on important global technology company in the evaluation and structuring of a Public Private Partnership project with a state government for the implementation of a public services management system.
- Provided assistance to an important financial group from Latin America in the valuation and analysis of its investment and participation strategies for the Mexican financial services market.
Recognition, Publications and Memberships
- Lecturer on Mexican commercial law matters in Mexico, Argentina, Colombia, Brazil, Germany and the United States in multiple public and private institutions including Euromoney, International Chamber of Commerce, the National Law Center for Inter-American Free Trade and Opal Financial.
- Author and co-author of a wide array of bulletins, articles and newsletters publish in diverse media including IFLR 1000, Latin Counsel, International Banking Law and Regulation, Latin American Law and Business Report, Project Finance Magazine, Latin Finance, El Mundo del Abogado, National Law Center for Inter-American Free Trade Novedades, Mexico Now, Diario Reforma, Revista Forbes, El Financiero, and El Diario.
- Co-author of several chapters of “Doing Business in Mexico”© by Baker & McKenzie 2001 published by Juris Publishing. Co-author of the foreign investment chapter of “The Guide to Mexico for Business”© published by the American Chamber of Commerce (10th Edition).
- Former President of the Mexico Committee of the International Law Section of the American Bar Association.
- Has been a member of the International Law Section of the American Bar Association.
- Member of the Real Estate Section of the American Bar Association.
- Former President of the Chihuahua Section of the National Corporate Counsel Association (Asociación Nacional de Abogados de Empresa-Sección Chihuahua).
- Fellow of American Bar Association.
- Has been a member of the Banking Techniques and Practices Committee of the International Chamber of Commerce. Member of the U.S. Mexico Bar Association
- Has been a professor of business law at the Instituto Tecnológico de Estudios Superiores de Monterrey.
- Law Degree, Instituto Tecnologico y de Estudios Superiores de Monterrey – Campus Chihuahua.
- Masters of Laws in International Trade Law, University of Arizona.
- Diploma in Executive Management (AD-2), Instituto Panamericano de Alta Dirección.
- Diploma in Public Brokerage, Instituto Tecnológico y de Estudios Superiores de Monterrey – Campus Ciudad Juárez.
- Diploma in Management for Lawyers, University of California in Los Angeles.
- English and Spanish