Fernando Holguín, is a member of the Tax & Trade Group and concentrates his practice in taxation, customs and international trade. In different occasions he has been Latin Lawyers reference attorney for México and has also been recognized as Leading Practitioner by Chambers and Partners The Guide to the World ́s Best Lawyers.
He earned his law degree, summa cum laude, from the Instituto Tecnológico de Estudios Superiores de Monterrey. Mr. Holguin is a Fulbright Scholar who earned an L.L.M in International taxation from the New York University. He also has postgraduate degrees from two leading Mexican Tax Law Schools, the Escuela Libre de Derecho and the Universidad Panamericana, and an LLM in Business Law from the School of Law of UACJ.
Mr. Holguín has ample experience in the areas of Free trade agreements; Compliance; IMMEX/Maquiladora and shelters; Customs and international trade audits; Import/export procedures; Valuation; HTS classification; Prior disclosures. Regularly assists multinational companies in designing and implementing their customs and foreign trade business structures in Mexico.
Mr. Holguín also has extensive practice in the area of Domestic and International Taxation, and has been counseling companies on the tax implications of doing joint ventures, mergers and acquisitions throughout Mexico. He also has advised foreign companies setting up tax efficient structures when doing business in “México”.
Recent relevant matters
- Engaged by different multinational companies in connection to Verification of Origin Visit/Audit from the Mexican Customs Authorities, inquiring/challenging the origin of goods imported into Mexico, for which the company granted certificates of origin under NAFTA or other FTA ́s.
- Engaged by a multinational company from the aerospace industry which detected a possible contingency of approximately $15,000,000.00 dollars, to initiate a prior disclosure and negotiate the reduction of those fines based on legal arguments to support the position of the company. After months of negotiation with the Customs Authorities, the company executed a settlement with them, whereby the company accepted to pay approximately $15,000,000.00 dollars instead of more than US $100 Million. We designed and implemented all the legal strategy and solutions provided to the authority.
- Engaged by a multinational company from the automotive industry to provide legal advice to restructure the Mexican tax and customs operations, and carry out an analysis to comply with tax and customs legal provisions regarding sales of goods in the Mexican Aftermarket.
Recognition and Memberships
- Recognized as Leading Practitioner by Chambers and Partners “The Guide to the World ́s Best Lawyers”.
- Recognized as Latin Lawyers reference attorney for México.
- American Bar Association (Business Law Section).
- Customs and International Trade Bar Association.
- Foreign Trade Association.
- United States Mexico Bar Association.
- Chairman of the Phi Delta Phi International Legal Fraternity (Chihuahua).
- Professor ITESM Ciudad Juárez. International Trade Fulbright Scholar Chairman.
- Law Degree, Instituto Tecnológico y de Estudios Superiores de Monterrey – Campus, Chihuahua.
- Master in International Taxation, New York University.
- Master in Business Law, School of Law of the Universidad Autónoma de Ciudad Juárez (a joint academic program with the Faculty of Law of the Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México- UNAM).
- Postgraduate Degree in Tax Law and Customs, Escuela Libre de Derecho.
- Postgraduate Degree in Taxes, Universidad Panamericana.
- English and Spanish